Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Turkey Leave The Gravy

Upon my trip to Istanbul I was waiting in bated breath for all the scrumptious nutty desserts, eggplant galore and yogurt up the wazoo. I was a tad worried that maybe I should bring lots of leggings for the trip, to stretch with the rest of me as I went from one cafe/restaurant to another. Surprisingly, this was not necessary no weight was gained. Yes of course, I traveled to Turkey for the history, breathtaking views and culture. But what am I left thinking about during my lunch break at work that has me salivating quicker than a pup looking at it's owner opening up a bag of food? Kunefe. This was difficult to conclude only because there are so many sweets to drool over. The candied pumpkin and chestnuts, baklava, Turkish delight, the list is longer than a child's wants for Hanukkah. This uber rich, moist dessert is filled with all the honey goodness one can pack into a thick circle of deliciousness. This baklava-type dessert is served warm and gooey with oozing cheese on the inside topped with crumbled pistachios and fluffy whipped cream. Real whipped cream NOT the aerosal teeth jarring sweet type from a can in the supermarket. Unfortunately, for my waist line, I decided to try this concoction my second day in Istanbul, obviously I had to have it in large quantities for the rest of the trip. Nothing is just a taste for me- I need the whole enchilada and lots of it. You live once, right? Right. The waiter couldn't bring it to the table fast enough before it was polished off leaving me and my friend licking our spoons clean panting for more. Kunefe is the traditional Turkish dessert, it is the American version of a brownie sundae. This sadly I must admit is one of the few dishes that NY does not do better than the actual country of origin. The string-like, honey-soaked treat is something to be tried by all and no doubtedly loved by all who visit this food-enticing city. Leave the gravy but definitely take the Kunefe.

No comments:

Post a Comment