Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Food, Me and my Hood

Growing up in Manhattan and being Jewish ultimately left me no choice but to be a lover of eating. NYC is the foodies wet dream. Food always played a main role in my life, it was almost like an extra family member. My family would be eating breakfast meanwhile the discussion would lead to what we would be having for lunch. Going to the supermarket was an ordeal of its own, some people spend hours upon hours picking out the perfect jeans, I could spend hours upon hours in certain aisles of supermarkets. When traveling, one of my favorite things to do is go to the supermarket or open markets which many countries have. It's always interesting to see what other countries have in their aisles that differ from the US. Also it is an experience on it's own to bargain with the people selling the various goods. You feel like a queen/king when you get the price to half of what it was originally even if you're bartering between a dollar or two or whatever the currency might be. For example, the quinessential NY Jewish nosh is a bagel with schmear piled high with lox (from Zabars if you're really in the know) but in Italy the typical Jewish food is fried artichoke.

I wasn't always the adventurous eater, up until the age of 9 my diet consisted of russian meatballs with cucumbers and tomatoes, rocky mountain toast and fetuccine alfredo. It was the perfect diet for someone who doesn't want to fit through a door without being greased through. I've come a long way from that. I've traveled to many parts of Europe and hope to continue my travels further but for some reason I still find NYC to have as authentic but sometimes more tasty food than the actual origin country.

I've created this blog to share my thoughts and relationship with food as well as discuss the different yummy establishments that exist in the glorious city of NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment